Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Dumbest (sober) Wreck Ever... (or this week)

So Monday after a long day at work I'm heading home... It's a beautiful day. I don't even mind the extra two miles of my commute (thank you ACHD). I make the haul up Capitol, turn on to Crescent rim, turn again onto the quiet neighborhood streets... I'm minutes from home. I over dressed, I've got three layers on and after the run up capitol I'm sweating a bit... normal... no biggie. I then choose to take of my hat and air out a bit and cool off... normal... no biggie. A few blocks later, cooling complete I decide to put my hat back on... normal... no biggie. I take my hands off the bars, whip the hat forward ( to establish proper hat orientation), whip the hat back (toward my head)... normal... no biggie. And manage to catch just the tip of my bar... not normal... real biggie.

I manage to sling the handle bars 90 degrees, halting the forward momentum of the bike and propelling myself (mid hat application) forward to the asphalt. My momentum is quickly reduced by friction, the evidence of which i now display on my body. After I realize I am not dead, and actually barely injured I let out a 135db "Fuck!". I roll over and there is a pleasant neighborhood mother and young child running toward me. Thoroughly embarrassed by not only the sheer stupidity of my actions, but by my immature vulgarity, I inform the nice lady I'm fine. I crawl back on my bike to prove that 'all is good' and head up the road. I get around the block, crawl off my bike open up my front brake (arrgh... bent the shit out of that rim) and ride the rest of the way home...

So I took pics of the road rash on my chin, elbow, and knee... then decided that it would be a bad idea to include them in this little post here, there is food on this blog... no sense being nauseous with out heavy drinking.

The moral of the story... stupidity is like lighting, it will strike randomly and without warning, and that thing about not striking twice, a damn lie, especially if you have a lighting rod up your ass.

2 comments:

  1. whoa... crazy afternoon...but you got up and got back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still a little sore, the front wheel has been re-trued, my ego needed the bruising... all is good.

    ReplyDelete